Every parent wants to ensure that his or her children have the things they need in life: a safe home, a good school, and the ability to develop their unique talents and skills. Adequate financial support is essential to meeting these needs.
At JLJ Family Law, we help mothers and fathers get child support orders that are fair, reasonable, and appropriate to the needs of their children in cases of divorce or paternity. In addition to the initial step of securing child support, we also assist parents who need to:
- Establish a child support order
- Modify an existing court order because of changing financial conditions or the changing needs of a child
- Get help with collections and enforcement of a child support order
- Resolve problems with back child support they owe
Texas Child Support Guidelines
In Texas, as in other states, the amount of child support a parent will pay is largely defined by the Texas child support guidelines and the amount of time the child is in each parent’s custody.
Judges do have some discretion to change the amount of the support order, however, especially when parents have considerable financial assets or when the child has significant needs. It is the role of the child support lawyer to document for the court why there should be a deviation in the child support order.
Modification of Child Support
- It is not uncommon for parents to find that they need to request a modification of an existing child support order at some point. Family circumstances change, income increases (or decreases)—these are valid reasons to ask a family court judge to review and modify your child support order.
- Parents sometimes negotiate child support agreements privately. While our firm always looks for ways to help parents arrive at agreements on their own, we urge clients not to bypass the court in child support matters.
- The stakes are simply too high. Allow our child support attorney to bring your case forward. This will protect you should the other parent later claim that you did not pay.
To speak with a child support attorney regarding child support enforcement or obtaining an initial child support order; contact our Plano or Dallas family law office.